Belfast Acute Mental Health Hospital
ClientBelfast Health and Social Care Trust
We were appointed following a design competition and interview as part of a team consisting of three architectural practices to design a new build 80 bed acute mental health unit at Belfast City Hospital.
We have brought our specialist expertise in the field of mental health design to collaborate with locally based RPP Architects and with Richard Murphy Architects, Edinburgh.
With landscaping at the very heart of this project, renowned landscape architect, Andy Sturgeon, joined the team to bring fresh thinking within the context of mental health landscape design.
Our role in the design process has included:
- Responsibility for the design meeting the requirements of current UK design guidance and best practice
- Coordinating the design to HTM / HBN standards
- Development of the ward design principles and room adjacencies alongside RMA development of the concept design
- Fully developing the ADB room data sheets, leading the Trust briefing meetings and liaising with architects on the development of the interior design packages
- Inputting into specific mental health design specifications, eg windows, ironmongery, sanitaryware, fixed furniture and finishes